[Dixielandjazz] Microphones at a distance

jsbarque at netscape.net jsbarque at netscape.net
Mon Feb 27 21:18:33 PST 2006

I picked up a mic in LA in 1980, a Shure model PE50 SP. It is identical to the SM58 except it has a switch and lead which enables it to plug into high and low impedance inputs through cannon or phone jack. It is good for both banjo and vocal and still works perfectly. The SM57 instrument mic is a bit too sensitive in the higher frequencies and tends to exaggerate the harmonics which make the banjo sound stringy, more like the blurgrass sound, or accoustic guitar.

I always carry mic and folding stand with an 18" gooseneck around in the car boot in case needed. Too often when sound is provided, the banjo mic is   set up on a low stand which brings the mic up to knee height when playing standing up or otherwise, it is on a worn out boom which keeps on sinking. Ask for a higher stand and the usual response is "the last bloke was sitting there playing his guitar and didn't complain". or - "that's what was ordered" etc. As long as they have found the right mic for the kick drum, nothing else matters.

I have also used Beyer microphones and couldn't agree more with the opinion that they are top performers.

 cheers
Tony Orr