[Dixielandjazz] Re: Look out you tubists. This one cuts you all.

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Feb 27 16:52:35 PST 2006

Gary, DJML, and others--
     I didn't find the demo-CD she sent, but there are audio-exceprts
of her playing on a radio show at
http://www.fromthetop.org/Programs/performers.cfm?pid=1677:
"Estrellita" and "Flight of the Bumblebee", plus interviews with her
talking.  She sounds delightful.
     Then at the bottom of the page
http://www.musicforyouth.org/features-jantsch.html there's a link to
play a video of her playing an audition of a piece that i don't know,
but it's extremely difficult.  They say that she has a lung-capacity
of 4.7 liters, about the same as male players, and you need every bit
of that to play tuba (I used to have 6.0 liters when i was young and
frisky, but that was 40-coughcough years ago).
     In each of these she plays all the notes without any wrong notes
(that i heard), and even bends some of the notes in "Estrellita".  I
think it's an F tuba she's playing on, but hey, as an old
brass-teacher of mine used to say, your lips still have to vibrate
the note, no matter what tuba or mouthpiece you're using.
     Still, advanced classical technique don't have nothin' to do with
being able to play jazz.  Some of the best jazz tuba has come from
guys with terrible tone, no range, cracked notes, and so forth.  It's
the jazz-quality of their ideas that makes them good, and they sure
didn't get good in a day, or by studying tuba in school.  You learn
to do something and get better at it by doing it a lot, by imitating
others and your teachers in your own way and voice, and even then you
may just be a journeyman jazzer with good execution but average ideas.
     But she sure as hell can play!

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**    "The tuba is the certainly the most intestinal of instruments,
**     the very lower bowel of music." --  Peter De Vries