[Dixielandjazz] Transcribing OKOM

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Feb 26 20:04:34 PST 2006

Probably so Mike, if you are using the original recordings, but it also
could be caused by the person who taped it or re-recorded it from the
original source as many machines are not properly calibrated and thus
speed up or slow down and can change the pitch, if you have a variable
speed control on your machine you might try slowing down the original
source if you can and bring it back into pitch.

I am no expert on this but I recall having done it a few times in the
past with an engineer.

  List mate Dick Broadie can shed more light on the subject I am sure if
he is still on and active these days.

Almost all of the old OKOM recordings that I have sound like that and
it irks me a lot because "How many years have they been passing that
stuff around as the ORIGINAL SOUND.  If all those groups sounded that
bad I am glad I was not there to hear them live :))   But alas I am
certain they sounded much better in person than on recorded medium of
the days.   Unfortunately many of today's Dixieland Bands sound just
like those old records, no wonder kids hated it for so long. :))

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins