[Dixielandjazz] Wanted Lead and Chords- The Lady in Red

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Sat Feb 25 07:13:28 PST 2006

At our last gig at a local restaurant, we had a whole table of older ladies
wearing red hats.  They were members of the Red Hat Society.  I asked  them if
there was any song that would appeal to them.  There was no  immediate
response.  Later we played "I'm Stepping Out With A Memory,  Tonight" but announced
it as "I'm Stepping Out in My Red Hat,  Tonight".  That went over well, but as
we were picking up at the end of the  gig, one lady came up and said, "How
about 'The Lady In Red'?"  So far I  found out that it was a Xavier Cugat number
in the late 1930's.  However as  I review that melody in my mind, it seems
that a trad jazz  version of this would work really well.  They're planning to
come back  in March at our montly gig here, so I would like to work it out with
the  band.

Does anyone have the lead sheet, or sheet music that I could get a copy of?

Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers Jazz Band
'we ain't just  whistlin' dixie!"
585-415-3985  Cell