[Dixielandjazz] Re: Tunes with identical chord progressions. & "QUOTES"

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Thu Feb 23 20:16:11 PST 2006

Not 2 different songs, but the "B" part of Canal Street Blues
played by tuban trb against the "A" part by the rest of the band
sounds kinda nice for just one chorus.

As to "quotes" I kinda like about the first 8 bars (If I counted right)
 of Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, Op. 46: I. Morning Mood
as an  intro to "Them There Eyes" (played at about double
the tempo of the Intro). About the time the audience
is scratching their heads wondering what is going on,
you give 'em the up tempo and they laugh. (Well,  some do.)
(Same notes for a couple of bars, pretty much)

Some of you will puke, but a couple of bars of
"Hall of the Mountain King" fits a few places in
trad tunes.

I don't use these every gig, just once in a "Blue Moon"
(WITH a song in my heart.)

Craig Johnson