[Dixielandjazz] Improvising Traditional Jazz

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 23 12:26:33 PST 2006

DJMLers and others--
     Thought i'd give a plug to Bill Clark (leader and tuba-player
with the Queen City Jazz Band of Denver), who's got a new book out
called _Improvising Traditional Jazz_ (which i just ordered for $40).
You can read about it in _Jazz Notes_ (Queen City Jazz Foundation,
Winter 2006), or at
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:KiJdECg3gtoJ:www.dmamusic.org/qcjfoundation/jnnewsletter.pdf+%22Improvising+Traditional+Jazz%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&lr=lang_en
(the HTML version of a PDF).
     Here's part of what the article says:

"Bill Clark, longtime leader of the Queen City Jazz Band, has published a
book titled Improvising Traditional Jazz. A portion of the proceeds from
sale of the book will go to the Queen City Jazz Foundation. Bill describes his
book below.
     I have been teaching young people to play traditional jazz for
many years. My
new book, Improvising Traditional Jazz, contains many the exercises and ideas
that have proven helpful to my students. The book has four parts: The
first discusses
some specific musical ideas that were given to us by great musicians
like Louis Armstrong
and Bix Beiderbecke. Part Two turns those ideas into ten
easy-to-learn exercises. Part
Three features nine typical traditional jazz chord progressions with
a CD that repeats
the nine exercises at slow and at fast tempos so the student can practice.
Part Four contains fourteen lead sheets and a second CD. Each of the
lead sheets
represents a typical traditional jazz chord progression. The CD has
on it music from
each of the lead sheets played by the Queen City Jazz Band.
Improvising Traditional Jazz
is not a substitute for diligent practice. It is an efficient way to
organize your practice
time. I wrote it for musicians who are professionals and want to get
better. It is
also written for less accomplished musicians who can read music, who
understand chord
symbols, and who want to learn how to sound good when playing a
traditional jazz solo.
The book is 38 pages, comes with 2 CD's, and costs $40.00 postpaid."
(From H H Zeno Productions; P. O. Box 1273; Littleton, CO  80160)

     I've heard (and greatly enjoyed) Bill play tuba with his band for
years at Sacramento, but didn't know about this newsletter until my
buddy Larmon Maddox gave it to me last week.  It has a lot of good
stuff in it. QCJB's website is at
http://www.dmamusic.org/qcjb/index.html

     Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind
**     is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but
**    the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."  --  Dave Barry