[Dixielandjazz] Taxes and 1099s

Charlie Hull charlie at easysounds.com
Thu Feb 23 08:11:46 PST 2006

One of my sidemen was a career IRS auditor, and my system is based on
his advice and has not been questioned in two audits.

The basic premise is that you aren't in business unless you have a
business license and evidence of active marketing to solicit business;
like a business phone listing, website, and/or advertising in a widely
distributed publication. You also should have a systematic method of
regularly recording income and payouts; preferably a bookkeeping system.
All of this indicates that you are seriously in business, as opposed to
engaging in an income producing hobby.

Persons you pay to perform with you are assumed to be employees and
subject to payroll tax withholding and reporting, and you are subject to
carrying workmens compensation insurance and unemployment taxes. The
exception is when the occasions of performance are irregular and the
sideperson is willing to be self-employed and contract with you to perform.

I have a signed contract with each of my sidepersons, in which they
provide their Social Security number and declare themselves to be
self-employed and responsible for reporting the income received from you
and paying any related taxes. In other words, a formal, documented
business relationship establishing a non-employee situation.

Each January I send a letter to each person who performed with me during
the previous year, listing the dates of performance and amount they were
paid, and stating that if the total paid during the year exceeded $600,
they will receive a Form 1099. This further establishes their
responsibility to report their income.

If you book a lot of steady gigs and the boss doesn't want to make
separate paychecks for each band member, the onus is on you as the
leader, and you should get an employer's number and file employer tax
reports.

Also, if your band grossed more than $600 for one employer, you may
receive a 1099 for the total amount paid to the band, and you are
personally responsible for reporting that amount (the IRS gets the
original 1099 so, like with a W-2, they know you received the money) and
paying tax on it. If you file a Schedule C you can deduct what you paid
to your contract performers as Cost of Sales - Non-Employee Labor.

Charlie Hull