[Dixielandjazz] YOBS

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 22 09:58:01 PST 2006

Listmates,

Perhaps this is relavant . . . perhaps not, but there was (I guess "is") a
jazz band in the UK which uses a sort of "rallying cry" when they get
excited. They have been known to call out the cryptic syllables of "UYOB,
UYOB!" at high points during their perfornances.

Now I am privy to the knowledge that "UYOB" is an acronym for (are you ready
for this?)

        "Up Your Old Bum!"

I won't mention the name of the band other than to say it is formed by
combining two rivers, one in the U.S. and the other in the U.K. The rivers
are the Mersey and the Mississippi. Also, the band is extremely old. They
have been around so long that all other jazz bands today look like mere
infants.

Thank you for your attention during the presentation above.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "UYOB" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com