[Dixielandjazz] 1099's

John McClernan mcclernan1 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 21 16:15:13 PST 2006

Whenever questioned on this topic, I always say that a tux is a stage
costume or uniform because it has sequins. Just be ready with the
needle and thread in case they call your bluff. (Yeah, yeah, I know
that the local tux rental place has tuxes with sequins, but it has
always settled the issue for me.)

The same goes for expenses. Be ready to back them up with receipts.
The only time I was audited, they had to give me back the full $1,500
+ they were holding, plus interest. When I received the audit notice,
my accountant said, "Do you want to go?", meaning that I didn't have
to, since he was going. I said yes, but next time I won't. I caught
myself volunteering information that I didn't have to give and they
hadn't the right to ask for. The accountant had the best line of the
day, when the legitimacy of some of my expenses was questioned. He
said to the auditor, "Look at it this way. We don't make the laws, we
just take advantage of them." The auditor had to fill out the
reimbursement form 3 times because she forgot how to do it and
screwed it up twice. She said, "You'll have to excuse me. I don't
have to do this very often."

Yesssss!!

This was sometime around 1977 at the Camden, NJ IRS field office. I
have not been audited since. (Uh oh, jinx on me?)

John