[Dixielandjazz] TAXES AND 1099's

Talegatorz at aol.com Talegatorz at aol.com
Mon Feb 20 14:47:55 PST 2006

       Quite a few years back I was running a band that was earning good
money for our little neck of the woods. I was signing the checks and giving the
club owners my SS number. At the end of the year, I told the other members that
I would need their numbers so I could give them their 1099's. This was met
with great anger and finally a full palace revolt resulting in my expulsion from
the band.
       I now lead a band and play in other bands and teach. I report my
income on a Schedule C short form since there is no inventory involved. I tell
those working for me that what they choose to do is their own business. However, I
report all my income and if  I'm ever audited, I will have no coice but to
show the taxman what I paid out and to whom. For this unlikely event, I maintain
as good a paper trail as possible.
I''m not recommending this method, but I have filed this way for the last
twenty years with no problems.

Gus Bloch