[Dixielandjazz] MELBOURNE FAREWELL CONCERT FOR GRAEME BELL

Don Mopsick mophandl at landing.com
Mon Feb 20 13:39:21 PST 2006

MELBOURNE FAREWELL CONCERT FOR GRAEME BELL
includes his SELECTED WORKS plus big band jazz of the '20s and '30s,
with  Michael McQuaid's  RED HOT RHYTHMAKERS.
Special appearance at the piano from MR GRAEME BELL AO MBE

Saturday March 4th   2.30pm in the Ian Roach Hall at the
James Forbes Academy, Scotch College, Morrison Street, Hawthorn

This concert is Graeme's idea.  He and Michael McQuaid presented a
program of his 'selected work' [his own compositions], last year in
Canberra and they were both thrilled with the result.  One can so easily
see in retrospect why he's remained such a significant contributor over
seventy years and has achieved so much during his lifetime.  He is
tireless, creative and enthusiastic, and he's finally decided to hang up
his hat, so to speak.

I asked Graeme to write a piece for this Newsletter regarding his choice
of the superb nine piece Red Hot Rhythmakers, [all in their twenties]
that he has invited to perform his 'selected work' for his Farwell
Concert, and here it is..

FROM GRAEME BELL  A.O.  M.B.E.
In 1999, as my wife and I made our way to the Opening of an art
exhibition in Canberra, we heard the exciting sounds of a famous early
jazz composition being played by clarinet and guitar.  Expecting to see,
as we entered the gathering, a couple of my white-haired contemporaries
providing this excellent music, we were surprised to be confronted by
two very young men playing with the assurance and dexterity of seasoned
professionals.

Shortly we were introduced to 17 year old reed player Michael McQuaid,
and 19 year old guitarist, Liam O'Connell.

It wasn't much later before the confines of Canberra became too
restrictive for these  musicians, so they and two of their talented
associates, drummer/vocalist Sandra Taltyand bassist Richard Mander,
moved to Melbourne and formed a band, led by Sandra, called The Sweet
Lowdowns.  McQuaid, with the addition of other young Melbourne music
students, eventually formed the nine piece RED HOT RHYTHMAKERS.

Michael McQuaid has the musical skills to transcribe from old
recordings, the exact arrangements of some of the classic jazz
repertoire as played by the ground-breaking early bands of the 1920s and
'30s.  I am honoured to be on the receiving end of this ability, whereby
he has orchestrated many of my early compositions, the original
manuscripts of which have drifted into the mists of time.  What a
revelation it has been for me to hear the long forgotten sounds of some
of my early arrangements which go back almost seventy years.  I have
always said that there is no substitute for the vibrancy and courage of
youth, when they venture into the realms of art.  The ability to dash
into dangerous territory like a batsman who has to hit a six in the
final over, is something that we oldies can only marvel at!

It is a privilege for me to appear with this band in the great Ian Roach
Hall in the fantastic new Forbes Academy at my old school.  As a young
fourteen year old, I moved from Deepdene Central School to attend Scotch
College in 1929 and 1930, during the period when the authoritarian
Scotsman Bill Littlejohn was Principal.  They used to publish my
pen-and-ink drawings in the school magazine, and one day I was taken
into the 'Head's' study to create cartoons of the football team.  One by
one these veritable 'gods' were paraded before me whilst I did my
preparatory sketches.

I did not excel at sport, and one day during a cricket match, whilst
dreaming in the outfield, a potential boundary landed square on the back
of my head, whereupon I was whisked away with concussion.  Strangely
this only served to strengthen my passion for the game which remains to
this day.

The saddest day in my young life was when I had to leave Scotch College.
There were tears in my eyes at the final speech night.  It was during
the depression and at sixteen years I had to join the workforce and earn
a living.  After many boring years as an insurance clerk and a
disastrous stint as a farm hand, I became a professional musician in
1943 and moved to Sydney in 1957.

Although officially retired [at 91], I am more than happy to be making a
guest appearance at my old school with these wonderful young musicians.
For this, I am
grateful to Diana Allen, with whom I have now worked for many years and
whom I call my Melbourne impresario, and for the co-operation of the
Development Officer at Scotch College, Dr Alan Watkinson.

Graeme Bell

BOOKINGS:  Tickets $40 each.  Student concessions $20.  Please send a
stamped self-addressed envelope with your cheque made out to Jazz
Australia, to PO Box 3049, South Melbourne 3205, and your tickets will
be posted to you.  There is no need to ring re bookings unless you have
a query.  Enquiries: Jazz Australia....9686 2844

Diana Allen

c/o Don Mopsick, Riverwalk Webmaster