[Dixielandjazz] Re: The Entertainer (was Maria Elena)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 18 13:10:11 PST 2006

Dear Hal,
Bob Smith's information is very interesting, but I agree with you entirely.
The evidence that Scott Joplin is the author of' "The Entertainer" is far
too strong, going back (as you say) to the original 1902 Stark-published
sheet music and copyright.
Without some very positive evidence of the note-writer's assertion on the
Bunk Johnson English Columbia LP 33SX1015 I see no reason to accept the
spurious statement.
There are too many Ragtime experts 'out there' for such an unsubstantiated
claim not to have been investigated and proved many years ago.
Kind regards,
Bill.