[Dixielandjazz] Re: Found info on Los Indios Trabajaras...!

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Feb 16 18:58:33 PST 2006

Dear Steve,
How about that!
If I had followed my usual practice, and not accepted Will Connelly's TV
show story, I would have discovered all that - earlier in the week.
8>)
It's all there in one of my books, much as you have just revealed, plus much
more, including the statistics regarding the Los Indios Trabajaras 1963
'hit' for RCA.
And the fact that "Maria Elana" (Lorenzo Barcelata) was written in 1933.
A link in my book to the March 1941 Jimmy Dorsey recording (his third
million seller) reveals that the original song was dedicated to the wife of
Mexico's President Pontes Gill, whose name was Maria Elana.
And yes, I do have the JD recording with vocal by Bob Eberly (nee Eberle).
Kind regards,
Bill.