[Dixielandjazz] Re: Maria Elana (was Two quick questions...)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Feb 15 20:40:00 PST 2006

Dear Steve, Will and Tony,
I wasn't going to bother with this thread, as I assumed that others within
the US would have answered the query, particularly about the 'wild' Indians
on TV.
Will Connelly put that to rest but Glen Page was unusually vague on the Bunk
Johnson information.
Here is some of what I have:
"Maria Elena" (1941. Lorenza Barcelata, music - S K [Bob] Russell, lyrics.
Revival of a Mexican song.)
1941 recordings include those by Blue Baron, Jimmy Dorsey, Tony Pastor, Gene
Krupa, Les Brown, Harry James and The Squadronaires.
The Bunk Johnson version (2nd take) from 15 May 1945 was issued on American
Music CD-15. Bunk did it again for Columbia on 26 Dec 1947 - 'Last Testament
of a Great Jazzman'. It has been reissued on Delmark CD DD 225.
The 1959 Acker Bilk version, mentioned by Tony Orr, misspells the title as
"Marie Elena".
Other versions include those by Jackie Gleason, Lee Castle, Pete Fountain
(two), Flip Phillips, Hank Jones and Ray Anthony.
'New Orleans style' renditions include those by several European bands,
George Lewis, Raymond Burke, Louis Nelson and Bill Bissonnette.
Kind regards,
Bill.