[Dixielandjazz] Long Beach to Madrid

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Feb 15 11:45:56 PST 2006

Russ wrote about how I arrived in Madrid, Spain:
So, that's how it came about.  I have wondered for years how on earth you
landed in Spain after growing up in long Beach, California.

Yep!  That's the first question I always get asked.  I did a magazine
interview once here, and was really annoyed when I found that I was included
in an article about "ex-pats".  All the others that were interviewed had
left the U.K. (for example) due to Thatcher's policies, or this or that, but
I was "sent" to Spain by my gov't.  I never actually decided to leave the
U.S. I just never got around to going back!  :>

Next question:  why did I stay?  Well, I was up for re-enlistment (3rd four
yr term), and I was already playing with the Canal Street Jazz Band, and was
already heavy into the recording studio scene here.  Although, it was slim
pickings for a long time, it was overall a good decision.  Have since
recorded with every name in Spanish music, done tv commercials, film music,
travelled with International singers, ending up with my own company dealing
with professional audio for recording studios, tv & radio, plus my own
recording studio.

Just finished a bottle of Rioja red wine (shared with my lovely wife), a
lovely Argentinian imported steak (+ salad & potatoes), and have nothing
important to do until tomorrow am.

Jim (count my blessings every day) Kash