FW: [Dixielandjazz] A New Musical Trend?

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Feb 15 10:49:15 PST 2006

Jim,
Don't flamenco dancers say "ole ole ole" or is that just for the tourists?
   Rae Ann

Yes, ole is said by the dancers, and is shouted as a shout of approval at
the bullfights.  However, I don't know a single person that goes to see
Flamenco or the bullfights, and I only once heard the guys in the band use
the word.

That brings me to a quite funny story, which does have its basis in
Dixieland music, so I will tell it here on DJML.

In 1989 we were invited to play at the Dresden Dixieland Festival.  That was
about 6 months before the Berlin Wall came down, so it was the "old" Dresden
festival, where every street was full of people going to hear bands at
concerts, or enjoying Dixieland bands right on the street.

The big concert is in a park where 10,000 people are gathered to hear about
20 minutes from each band.  Well, I wouldn't start our band until the
audience shouted back "buenos dias" to my greeting.  After seveal attempts,
I got a decent shout of Buenos Dias back, and we played the first song.  At
the end, Pepe yelled out "ole".  Never, ever heard him say that before, and
was really surprised, particularly when 10,000 people shouted ole back!   :>

Then, after that, it was ole after solos, ole after songs, all shouted by
the crowds wherever we played.  And, even gangs of kids recognized us as we
walked around the town & yelled ole.  We yelled back, then commented "we
never, ever say that at home"!  Obviously, the language within the band is
Spanish, since I am the only non-spaniard in the band.

It was all good fun.

Jim