[Dixielandjazz] Re: Chords and Lead Wanted: The Lady In Red

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Feb 15 00:20:34 PST 2006

>........found out that it was a Xavier Cugat number in the late 1930's.  How
ever as I tinkle it in my mind, it seems that a trad jazz version of this would
work really well.<

Dear Bud,
It was - and it does!
I'm surprised that in your musical travels you've, somehow, missed "The Lady
in Red" (1935. Allie Wrubel, music-Mort Dixon, lyrics).
It was done magnificently by Louis Prima for Brunswick on 17 May 1935 with
Prima, t/v; Pee Wee Russell, cl; Frank Pinero, p; Garry McAdams, g; Jack
Ryan, sb; Sam Weiss, d. [Playing it now.}
It's not all that rare on LP or CD and contains two great Pee Wee solos.
Our band used to do it a few years ago.
So did Joe Haymes, Tommy Dorsey, Stan Kenton, Stan Getz, Duke Ellington and
the 1955 Humphrey Lyttelton Band.
It was featured as a Busby Berkeley number in the 1935 film 'In Caliente'
(sung by Winni Shaw).
Kind regards,
Bill.

Chords:
Eb   EB   Fm7/Bb7  V   Bb7  BB7   Eb   EB
Abm   ABM   Eb/Bb7   Eb    Abm   ABM   F7   Bb7

Verse:
Say! Have you ever met the girl
Who's the toast of the town?
A work of art without a question,
You'd better write her number down.

Chorus:
Oh! the lady in red, the fellows are crazy
For the lady in red.
She's a bit gaudy, but lawdy,
What a personality.
Oh! the lady in red, is fresh as a daisy
When the town is in bed.
Dancing and dining and shining
With originally.

She's very proper.
She's nothing more than a pal,
But oh me! and oh my! You'd never stop 'er,
She'd be a dangerous gal,
If she should ever meet the right guy.

Oh! the lady in red, the fellows are crazy
For the lady in red.
Is she a study, oh! buddy
What a personality,