[Dixielandjazz] Now here's a Press Release

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Feb 14 22:05:18 PST 2006

I reviewed one of Anthony Braxton's more unusual CDs in 1999 - "14
Compositions" on Leo Records CD - a duet with Stu Gilmore on various
instruments. The idea was "theme and variations" on standard trad
jazz tunes. Stu Gilmore is a founding member of the Los Trancos Woods
Community Marching Band and was also a jazz DJ at Stanford University
station KZSU back in the 1950s. I do not exactly recall how he met up
with Anthony Braxton but they became friends and over the years they
worked out the idea of this recording. It is one of the strangest
OKOM recordings I have ever heard - not great, but not bad!

here is the song list:

Rosetta
Kansas City Man Blues
Do You Know What It Means...
Blue Turning Grey Over You
Skylark
Battle Cry
Ain't Gonna Give Nobody None
In a Sentimental Mood
I'm Gonna Sit Right Down...
Star Dust
The Memphis Blues
Some Day You'll Be Sorry
Blues My Naughty Sweetie
Ja Da

Braxton also did a series of large ensemble "Marches" that sound a
bit like Sousa From Another Galaxy...

Dave Richoux