[Dixielandjazz] FW: Louis, Lotte and Mackie

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Feb 13 01:26:26 PST 2006

Dear friends,
The Louis Armstrong "Mack The Knife" thread has generated quite a bit of
off-list email traffic between me, my mate Anton Crouch and another mate,
local expert, banjoist Geoff Holden.
We all know the original Louis All Stars record from 28 Sept 1955 (backed by
"Back O'Town Blues") but, are the two sides actually in your collection?
I'm talking about the record where Louis plays trumpet behind his vocal.
The 78 which came out on a Columbia 78 in late 1955-early 1956.
I have the 78 but, for some reason, not an LP or CD reissue of it,
notwithstanding that Louis' "Mack The Knife (from other other sources) has
been available on el-cheapo bargain Louis' LP/CD reissues over the years.
OK. So we all know it, but somehow it is seems to have been reissued very
rarely.
Maybe because Columbia (now owned by Sony) have never-ever really bothered
about jazz collectors. And, with the strict copyright laws, nobody has been
courageous enough to reissue it.
It seems that everybody knows the original Louis "Mack The Knife" from their
youth, but nobody appears to have it in their collection.
Probably because it was not considered jazz - at that time?
If I'm wrong about all this, by all maens tell me but, please, identify the
LP/CD you have it on.
But listen first. There are a lot of later Louis versions of "Mack The
Knife" about.
The week prior to the the Armstrong original (I told Anton it was the day
before) in New York on 22 September 1955 Turk Murphy recorded two titles for
Columbia with Billy Butterfield, t; Turk Murphy, tb; Bill Carter, cl; Pete
Clute, p; Dick Lammi, bj; Milt Hinton, sb; Thad Wilkerson, d.
C053802    Mack the knife                       Col 40586
C053803    Maryland, my Maryland                 -
Have these two sides ever appeared on LP or CD?
Fr Mike Logsdon (our resident Turk Murphy expert) should be able to  advise.
Kind regards,
Bill.