[Dixielandjazz] Henry Mason's Big Band Gigging

Henry Mason hcmsjo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 14:23:16 PST 2006

Hi Steve,

On 2/12/06, Steve barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Henry Mason <hcmsjo at gmail.com> wrote, (polite snip)
>
> > PS   Yes  our big band did work friday and saturday nights. I have been
> > studying band marketing with Steve Barbone!  <VBG>
>
> Aw shucks, Henry, you're the guy doing it. I'm just one of those no
> account
> teachers that folks who can't do it, call names and bitch about. :-) <VBG>

Your marketing info has been useful and the fact that we have a pretty good
band helps too.  Your comments about playing to younger audiences have made
an impression on us.    That Friday night gig  was a packed house and I
would guess average age at 40  with about 20 percent older  and a very high
number of  20's and 30's.    We have more concerts booked this year to
groups with the same breakdown so it appears that we do appeal to younger
folks than the WWII generation.

>Keep swinging and ignore the critics, what the hell do they know?

I am reminded of that great line from Mel Brooks' "History of the World"

The scene is the first cave man drawing on the wall of his cave.  Orson
Welles Narrates:

"With the birth of the first artist, came the inevitable
afterbirth.......the first critic"

 I am sure you remember the rest.

Cheers,

Henry