[Dixielandjazz] Re: was FW: HAPPY 75th/Now who's youngest, oldest?

Bob Loomis miltloomis at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 11 07:49:54 PST 2006

   I'm 66, still waiting for OKOM to appear at my
local suburban arts center (Dean Lesher in Walnut
Creek) ... I still think the biggest problem in
recent decades in keeping any music alive is the
formatting of radio stations to present just a
single genre ... of course, now we have SAtellite
and streaming Web radio with hundreds, if not
thousands of formats ... but you gotta find them
... and you have to have a reason to be looking
for a particular genre ... if you've not been
exposed to a type of music somehow you ain't
gonna even suspect it exists ...  and mass media
forms and marketing techniques are changing so
fast now, I don't think anyone knows what's next
... the Old Guard of the music industry are
shoevling sabnd against the riptides trying to
maintain status quo ... Trouble for them (and us,
maybe) is there isn't any such thing right now
... our culture  has finally speeded up to the
point that tradition is anything that lasts
longer than 6 months ...

Bob Loomis
COncord CA