[Dixielandjazz]Turk and Mack the Knife

G. William Oakley gwilliamoakley at wispertel.net
Fri Feb 10 14:23:06 PST 2006

Yes,, he did and he once explained it to me this way.  He had a choice
of a $300.00 arranger's fee or royalties and good old practical Turk
took the 300, much to his later regret.  He also told me an interesting
story regarding the Armstrong recording.  After completing the
arrangement Turk brought it to the Armstrong guys and they did the
recording from the charts.  They immediately left for a tour of Europe.
While they were abroad the song became a big hit and they kept getting
requests for it but they didn't know the arrangement.  To solve the
problem they went into a bar with a stack of nickles (remember the good
old days when a nickle was worth a nickle) and played the tune over and
over until everyone learned it.
He also did a recording with his own band and he did the arrangement for
Lotte Lenya.
Best
Bill