[Dixielandjazz] Rolling Stones

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 10 13:19:54 PST 2006

Hello all,

In 2005 I saw both the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney live (the Stones
for the second time and McCartney for the first).  Both were arena/stadium
shows and both were completely sold out.

I think that what the Stones provide is energy and consistency, which is why
they have managed to maintain their fan base year after year.  Keep in mind
that they have grown their fan base with new material over each decade--and
their new material in each decade reflected something that was then current.
  So, they always remained who they were--a loose rock band--remaining fresh
and expanding their material without loosing their identity.  That's why at
a Stones concert you see such a wide age range of fans.  The energy and
enthusiam that they still convey keeps the old fans coming back, while
they've subtly adapted to change over time.

This is unusual in the oldies-rock circuit.  Most rock bands from the 60s
and the 70s that are still performing are still just trying to make a living
off of their handful of 30-year-old hits.  So if you go see the guy who
sings Margaritaville, you're going to see him sing Margaritaville because
maybe that song appealed to you.  It's for strictly nostalgia reasons.  My
wife went to a concert awhile back (Rick Springfield?) in which the guy
played his one big hit from years ago three times in the same show!

Regardless of whether or not you enjoy their music, the Stones never
devolved into a nostalgia band or a stereotype of themselves.  They still
introduce new material with each tour and, if a song hits, it'll become part
of their standard repertoire for the future.  They can still work a crowd.
There was a lot of energy in that stadium.  Their show is presented and
hyped as an event with an oversized stage, pyrotechnics, fireworks, you name
it.

I think that it illustrates that there needs to be energy in live
performance.  Too many jazz groups, jazz of all genres, come across as
disinterested on stage.  Big bands seem to be especially bad for this, but
I've seen it with all different types of groups.  Watching a big band read
charts can too often be about as exciting as watching someone read a book.

Sidemen talking or looking at their watches or taking a drink when someone
else is soloing also does nothing to appeal to an audience.  Leaders who do
nothing to or who are unable to engage their audiences are also energy
killers.  How often have you heard a band play a really hot number and then
the leader picks up the microphone and says, as flat as can be, something
like, "That number was called 'Runnin' Wild.  (Pause)  Now we're going to
play a number called..."  Another thing that is distracting when watching
pickup bands is that there's too much discussion of what's coming next while
they are playing the song.  I recently saw a band in New York of
Dixielanders that had to discuss everything that was coming--what key, which
solo, how are we going to end it etc. etc. as each tune unfolded. That may
not be so obvious in a large venue, but in a small room where people are
actually listening, the audience can hear every word.  I felt like I was
watching a rehearsal.  And another thing...(just kidding--enough griping
from me).

Regardless of what one thinks of their music, and quite honestly, I'm not a
huge fan, the Stones know how to entertain a crowd.  They have an incredible
presence when they walk out on the stage and they stay engaged as a band
from the first riff until the last.  Watching them on TV does not really
convey that vibe you get when actually seeing them live.

All the best,
Rob McCallum