[Dixielandjazz] Question: what ever happened...

J. D. Bryce brycejo at comcast.net
Fri Feb 10 12:50:30 PST 2006

Actually, I think Louis Armstrong did a version in the early fifties that
originated the phrasing that Ella Fitzgerald borrowed and that was made a
pop sensation by Darren.  Interestingly, no one had phrased the tune like
that until Louis did and it has become the standard for doing that tune.  No
one, except perhaps those doing the show itself does Mack the knife any
other way.

J. D. Bryce
One of Littlefield's Minions.