[Dixielandjazz] Mills Bros. - Tiger Rag & more

Dick Baker box2 at twotonbaker.com
Fri Feb 10 05:02:19 PST 2006

Friends,

I just returned from several days on the road to discover that the Mills
Brothers' recording of "Tiger Rag" had made news in this forum.  One of the
CDs I took for entertainment on my long drive was a Mills Brothers three-CD
set called "Golden Greats" from Disky that just knocked my socks off with
its trad jazz content.  The first tune on CD No. 1 is Tiger Rag!  But
there's also Nobody's Sweetheart Now, Shine (with Bing Crosby), St. Louis
Blues, Bugle Call Rag, It Don't Mean a Thing (if it...), Diga Diga Doo
(with Duke Ellington), Nagasaki, Limehouse Blues, I've Found a New Baby and
many, many more.  Quite a few of the cuts include guest artists, especially
Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald.

The copy I was carrying was loaned to me by a friend, but the first thing I
did when I got home last night was order my own copy from amazon.com, and I
was pleased to discover that the three-CD set costs all of $10.49.  See it at

         http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068CUC/qid=1139576368/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-3988880-7211950?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

I don't own any amazon.com stock; I just think this is a must have
collection for trad jazz fans.

--
   Dick Baker - Falls Church, Virginia, USA
             box2 at twotonbaker.com