[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz, Dixieland etc.

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 9 14:18:45 PST 2006

The definition of Trad Jazz is a moving target. For an interesting take on
Dixieland, Trad Jazz, etc., see:

http://www.answers.com/topic/dixieland

>From what I understand, , what Graham calls "trad", here in the USA we might
call that "British Trad" as it applies to European Bands. My understanding
of British Trad is that it is a revival of "Uptown New Orleans", only a
cleaner version as played by trained musicians. e.g. Like George Lewis type
bands, except with better intonation etc. Same songs, etc. Or like what the
Gota River Jazzmen (a fine band) play in Sweden.

The S.F. revival starting in the late 30's with Yerba Buena and carried on
by Turk Murphy I think, like Bob Ringwald, was referred to "trad" jazz,
especially by Murphy, and elsewhere in the USA to distinguish it from swing.
It was a re-work of King Oliver, starting w/o drums because on those early
records of K.O. you couldn't hear the drums, if indeed there were drummers
on them. K. O. style was sometimes referred to "Downtown New Orleans.
Different from Uptown because the musicians were often classically trained,
had better intonation etc.

Sounds to me that the Australians are playing a S.F. Revival style trad
rather than British Trad.

Who invented the term? I don't know.

Cheers,
Steve