[Dixielandjazz] Re: Earl Hines question

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Feb 8 13:28:13 PST 2006

> According to Rust, this title (and others) was recorded by QRS in Long Island
City on 8th December, 1929. "Just Too Soon"  was QRS R-7039 Mx 294A. I am a
little suspicious about the date as, according to Rust, Hines recorded in
Chicago (for Okeh) the very next day. Methinks one of these dates has to be
wrong ....... but which?<

Dear John and John,
I did not notice that when I sent off my reply, as I relied on the CD
discographal information instead my annotated copy of Rust.
Which I should have!
Hines was certainly in Chicago at the time, as his other recordings testify.
4 Dec 1928   Louis Armstrong and His Orchestra. "No" and "Basin Street
Blues".
5 Dec 1928   Louis Armstrong and His Savoy Ballroom Five. "Beau Koo Jack",
"Weatherbird", etc.
7 Dec 1928   Louis Armstrong and His Orchestra. "Muggles".
9 Dec 1928   Earl Hines (solos). "Caution Blues" and "A Monday Date".
The QRS Hines' solo stuff is certainly a studio recording and not a piano
roll, notwithstanding that QRS was more famous for them.
Leave this one with me.
Hopefully, as 'the man' said: "I'll be back!".
Regards,
Bill.