[Dixielandjazz] Anthem

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 8 07:18:08 PST 2006

Quite right Jim,

concerts and performances of all sorts were presaged by the National Anthem,
but that was a looooong time ago. Must have been at least 50 years.  The
Anthem was played AFTER the cinema performance until fairly recently.(20
years) Of course everyone made a dash for the exit between `The End` and the
anthem being played. If you hadn`t made it to the exit you stood to
attention and you were severely frowned upon if you did not.
Unfortunately in the general lowering of standards, making shorts out of the
Union Jack etc., the practice has been lost and the Anthem is hardly played
now.

There used to be community singing, with a conductor and a military brass
band with solo singers before the Football Association Cup Final, probably
our nearest comparison to the Bowl, but the yobs took over and drunks
yelling at each other finally  made the singing impossible. Another triumph
for the unwashed plebians.

Musical Content. `Fings aint what they used to be`

Cheers

Pat

PS. I am resending this as it was returned. The only thing I have changed is
`Jim` instead of `Kash`. I seem to remember that you had some sort of filter
which assumed anything with `kash` in was asking you for money and
automatically returned the message from whence it came.

--

--