[Dixielandjazz] Earl Hines question

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 8 04:07:49 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: John Farrell
To: DJML
Sent: 08 February 2006 09:29
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Earl Hines question

In August 1928 (I believe) Earl Hines recorded a tune entitled "Just Too
Soon". Does anybody know :

a) who wrote it, and
b) the label on which the recording was released.
______________

John,

According to Rust, this title (and others) was recorded by QRS in Long Island
City on 8th December, 1929. "Just Too Soon"  was QRS R-7039 Mx 294A. I am a
little suspicious about the date as, according to Rust, Hines recorded in
Chicago (for Okeh) the very next day. Methinks one of these dates has to be
wrong ....... but which ?

Can't help with the composer, but belowis a bit about QRS which would seem to
indicate that "Just Too Soon" was recorded as a piano roll.

Cheers,

John D

BTW: I haven't fogotten about that "One O'clock Jump" by Johnny Guarnieri I
promised you a year ago last September. It just hasn't surfaced yet !!

Better known as piano roll manufacturers, QRS made two notable excursions in
record production, neither of which were particularly successful if the
rarity of the original records are anything to go by. In the late 1920s there
was a black-labelled series which issued a handful of highly desirable jazz
items. Then in 1930, there was the red-label series which consisted mainly of
dance band items directed by Carl Fenton. Both series were very short-lived.