[Dixielandjazz] What is trad jazz - dancing

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Feb 7 21:22:22 PST 2006

Actually the demise of dancing - that is ballroom dancing - was about 1950
but everyone was still dancing and dancing a lot throughout the 50's with
spin off's of Ballroom and earlier types.  I know I spent zillions of hours
playing Dances where people danced.  My mother made me take ballroom lessons
about 1952 or 3. The picture started changing in the 60's with people no
longer touching while dancing and slow dancing that had almost no steps.
The 70's brought the concerts where no one danced much if at all.  I also
played dances all through this period.  I made the comment once that we had
the best band for people who couldn't dance in St. Louis.  Dancing for
society events is pretty much the same as it has been since the 60's.  No
one knows how to dance, that is dancing with some sort of definite steps or
movements such as the waltz, foxtrot and other ball room types.  I played a
dance last night with a local band that is definitely in the 40's swing era
chart wise and people danced until we quit at one a.m..  They had a ball.
It could have been all the free wine.  The gig was at Tan Tar A resort at
Lake of the Ozarks for the Midwest Wine Growers Assn..

By 1960 almost all the dance halls had closed and the Admiral Steamer and
Casa Loma were the only places that had ballroom.  Casa Loma stays in
business because it rests in the middle of the Latin community.  They have
Salsa dances several times a week and pack the place with sell out crowds.

My dad danced  at least three times a week until he got in a car wreck and
ended up in a nursing home where he died.  He was coming home from a dance.
He did ballroom.

There are several dance halls on the East side in Illinois very near St.
Louis.  The Alton Ill. Eagles club has 6500 members and has bands two and
sometimes three times a week.  They have Ballroom on Sunday and C&W on
Saturday.  The Crystal Ballroom in Staunton Illinois brings in bands from
around the country.  I have played with the Royal Canadians, Jan Garber band
and several others there.  A friend of mine started a Mickey band and I
thought that it was just going to be a rehearsal group but low and behold
the guy is actually booking it.  You can still go to the Casa Loma Ballroom
here on Sat Night and dance to a big band.  There are a coupe dozen  kids
show up to these dances dressed in 40's cloths.

I would agree that on the heavy jazz scene that things did change to more or
less non danceable music and lead the concert mentality that took over in
the late 60's and 70's. with rock and pop.

I think that you should look at the C&W scene.  This is a huge dancing
group.  I don't know about your area but here in St. Louis there are TV
shows that have crowds of people line dancing and doing other kinds of
dances.  It's not my cup of tea but it's big.

I think that dancing is alive and well and the old 40's ballroom dancing is
available at moderate prices with a short drive from St. Louis.  I would
admit that people aren't standing in line to get in and no one is getting
rich but it still exists.
Larry Walton
St. Louis