[Dixielandjazz] rock music and okom

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Tue Feb 7 18:06:55 PST 2006

G'day Jack:

Not all of them do Jack:  although yes, many of the Concert Rock bands
do just that, but usually it take most of the time to get the visual
and special effects set up.   Not to mention three hours for the SOUND
GUY to get it right, :))  At least on the major concerts, The good
bands also expend more energy in a 45-90 minute set than most okom
bands do in a year.  :))

And believe it or not ( unless you don't consider my band an OKOM band
which most of my pals on this list and in Traditional Jazz Societies do
not ) and that's Ok with me,  Some rocking OKOM Bands can roll up, step
out of the Van or off of a train and Play a three mile parade, or up on
to a stage and knock out a high energy in your face, make you shake
your booty and dance show for two hours non-stop before the first
break, step off the stage and have a couple of beers and get up there
and do it all over again.   Or get back in the van and drive an hour
and get out and do it for an entirely different audience.   Some of us
grew up working in the old days and do know more than thirteen songs
and used to play six to eight hour a night gigs and weddings and bar b
ques on the weekend afternoons as well.  OOps and lest I forget we also
played all night after hours sessions on Friday and Saturday nights
too.   when we do stage concert dates we usually have about 30 minutes
to an hour to get our levels adjusted and get a sound check at a major
outdoor venue.   The acoustics are different in all of them and so is
the sound reinforcement equipment which can make you or break you sound
wise.

Most modern day working bands show up for a four hour gig, take 40
minutes to set up, play 35 to 40 minutes take a short 35 minute break,
45 if the drummer goes outside with a woman :))  Gets back on the stage
and plays another 40 minutes and take another 45 minute break,  (55 if
the drummer goes outside again which he usually does :)),  then back on
stage and plays as fast as they can for the next twenty minutes till
the bar has to close.   That is the new normal four hour gig, since
they can't get a raise from the club owner they get even by shortening
the length of sets and how much music they actually play,  the dancers
leave, and don't buy any more drinks and the bar loses money and then
fires the band because they can't hold a crowd.   The band then bad
mouths the jackass club owner and moves on down the street to close
another live music club with the same attitude.  While the rest of the
world works 8 to 10 hours a day to have enough money to come out and
have a few beers with the band and hear some music.    Maybe it's
better down under but that is pretty much the club scene here these
days.

So not all Rock bands and musicians are the same some of us learned
about playing live gigs from the older guys who played OKOM they are
probably the reason we now play OKOM music right along side our Rock &
Blues, Zydeco, R&B and Soul & Gospel and do it in New Orleans Brass
Band style the way it was played before somebody took the punch out of
it and changed the name to DIXIELAND.  :))

A lot of today's Dixieland sounds very similar to Smooth Jazz to me :))
    The so called Smooth Jazzer's have watered down the good old ROCK &
ROLL AND R&B & SOUL TUNES to make them sound tired and keep folks from
dancing.   It is the new elevator music from Musak me thinks.

P.S.  I usually have four drummers and it takes us about four minutes
to set up, pull out three snares and a Bass Drum and pick up the sticks
and play.  :))    Marching /Strolling band drummers do have an
advantage,  Ok I lied it does take about fifteen minutes to attach all
the percussion stuff on the snares and mount them on the harnesses.
But in all fairness it can take three or four days to tune them all. :))

Cheers

Tom Wiggins