[Dixielandjazz] Re: Sophisticated Lady

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Feb 7 13:49:00 PST 2006

> Does "Sophisticated Lady" have a verse?

Dear Dick,
So far as I can find, the answer is "no".
Using  my long-held belief that the verse sets up the story of a song (so
are more often found in vocal versions) I checked the all too few recorded
vocal renditions of "Sophisticated Lady":
Boswell Sisters  Sept 1933
Dinah Shore   Aug 1941
Billie Holiday   Aug 1956.
No verse.
Nor is there a verse to the original Feb 1933 Ellington version of his
famous piece.
None of my chord (fake) books include a verse.
Why it is so rarely sung seems odd, given that the Mitchell Parrish 1933
lyrics fit the tune so well. It probably didn't need one.
Kind regards,
Bill.