[Dixielandjazz] Re: The note from Bud Shank

George Thurmond gthurmond at stx.rr.com
Mon Feb 6 17:01:42 PST 2006

        The note about Neville's and Franklin's butchering of our National
Anthem expressed my sentiments entirely as I've mentioned on the List for
the past couple of years.  I wish I could say it only happens in Motown, but
it's going on everywhere in the country.  The NFL is the worst offender
year-in year-out.  So tune out the pregame (and while we're at it, the
half-time too, like Ringwald) and take in just the ballgame.

        Some songs are just made to be sung and/or played as written.  Our
nation's anthem is one of them in my opinion.  Some are made to be
improvised on, and that's why I like OKOM.

    George (There, I said it and I'm glad) Thurmond