[Dixielandjazz] A note from Bud Shank

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 6 15:26:09 PST 2006

Back in the mid-80's I went to Cairo for a vacation, the first non-playing
trip I ever took.  Late in the afternoon of the first day I decided it was
time to celebrate the cocktail hour in the hotel bar.  Lo and behold, in the
middle of the room was a white grand piano (always be wary of these). The
operator of this beast was a young Egyptian in a tux playing "The Shadow Of
Your Smile" all with I-IV-V chords.  I am sure that Mandel could feel it all
the way to Point Dume.  I was laughing and crying at the same time.  My only
hope for survival was to order a double martini.  For the past 30 years I
have always placed this at the tope of my list of the "worst things I have
ever heard".

That was until the Superbowl yesterday.  ABC's presentation of the Star
Spangled Banner is now the leader on that list.  Granted, Mr. Key's melody
could be improved upon.  But this is something that is very meaningful to a
lot of people.  To disgrace it like ABC did is totally disrespectful and
unacceptable.  Using I-IV-V chords would have been a blessing as they did it
with just a I chord! To hell with any "chord changes". There were not chords
to change!! There are wardrobe malfunctions (last year) and musical
malfunctions this year. A bunch of ABC clowns presenting a bunch of
non-musical clowns.  Ugh.

Bud Shank