[Dixielandjazz] MUSIC TEACHERS -- GIVE 'EM A BREAK

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Feb 6 11:07:44 PST 2006

Hi Richard:

With all due respect to the "GOOD"  ( and Actually Qualified) TEACHERS
in all fields of the education INDUSTRY  and yes I do mean industry,
because it is just that an industry:

I read not long ago a very eye opening report on teachers in the USA
and how badly the education system in this country has slipped.  It
clearly stated that over about the past forty odd years that the
majority of the teachers teaching in our schools came from the bottom
10% of the graduating classes.   Now combine that with the great
upsurge in politically appointed and elected administration folks
writing their own agenda and forcing policies and whatever else they
wished upon their systems and we have turmoil in the rank and file of
teachers for certain.   This downward spiral did indeed force many of
the finest truly dedicated and Qualified teachers out of the business,
some retired and others just walked away to go make money some where
else.

The message that we are trying to convey here is not that ALL Teachers
are Bad by any means, but to get folks to wake up and realize that many
many of them are simply products of the bad or less qualified teachers
that taught them or the ones that taught them prior to that.    Not
just in music either,  and yes indeed there are a lot of kids young and
old who do not want to learn and they provide an even greater challenge
for some GOOD TEACHER to find the way to reach them hopefully before it
is too late.    To just ignore them and turn them out onto the street
and society without a proper education and some skills to be able to
earn a living is a crime, and one that has led to much of the crime we
have in our societies today.

We spend more and more money on the Eduction  INDUSTRY every year,
however the problem keeps getting bigger and bigger every year.   There
are some school districts that run much better than others and turn out
fine students but the entire system needs an overhaul from the top
down.   In my opinion if they threw out the Politicos at the top
administrative levels and went back to letting the Real Teachers Jut
teach we would be much better off as a whole.

Kids need to know WHY they are gong to School,  "To learn and prepare
themselves for Life in general"  not for social activities and sports
and fashion shows in the halls.    It is a shame that many of our high
school kids have to go to college for four or more years in many places
to day just to get a high school education.

Musical content:

How many folks just say on this fine list of minds were taught anything
in school or your music classes about how to go market your talent and
services and earn a living playing music after you obtained all that
musical knowledge and skill?  very few I would venture to say, most of
us just had to educate ourselves thru trial and error and hunt and seek
for any opportunity to ply our trade.   Not much has changed in that
system in forty odd years either, except many gave up looking and even
trying to find any decent paying and professional opportunities to play
and get paid and be respected for doing so.

If you can read this , thank a GOOD TEACHER, BLESS THEM  THEY ARE FAR
TOO RARE.

AND YES I HAVE WORKED IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM IN CALIFORNIA,  AND
YES I QUIT IT TOO FOR THE SAME REASONS YOU  AND MANY OTHER DID.
Idiotic politically motivated Administration, that largely contributed
to the whims of the Athletic Department.   As list-mate Mike Vax has
repeatedly pointed out regarding teaching experiences.

Unfortunately the government is not going to fix it for us folks , we
are going to have to roll up our sleeves and go back and fix it
ourselves if it is ever going to get done.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins