[Dixielandjazz] Brilliant Marketing Schemes

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 5 11:09:16 PST 2006

tcashwigg at aol.com wrote; (polite snip) about giving things away

> as you said a simple but brilliant idea,  some of these kids are not so
> dumb after all.
>
> The last time I saw a marketing maneuver that smart by a Major record
> label was when the cleverly invented the Columbia Record Club,
> followed by BMG Record Club,  whereby they devised the old buy any 12
> albums for $.01  when you join and agree to buy only 6 more at regular
> club prices over the next year.

And will we oldsters ever forget Gillette Company's nationwide promo of
hanging a "FREE" Gillette razor on your front door knob. Wow, a free razor.
They gave one to virtually every household in the country.

Of course you paid for it many times over by buying Gillette blades, which
at the time, were the only blades that fit.

Well thought out give aways whether beads or razors, are sure to return more
back to the "giver". Like in "Cast Thy Bread Upon The Waters." Solid
marketing advice.

I used a modified a give away 35 years ago at a Las Vegas Automotive Parts
Industry Convention. Tied into the Vegas theme, it was buy 7 get 11 free.
Total 18 tools to hang on our new tool display stands. Most successful new
tool program we ever ran for the company (K-D Tools). It also included a
pair of modified dice which only rolled 7 or 11. It sold a lot of display
stands which took a total of 200 different tools to fill it, and, of course,
sold a lot of other tools besides the 18 new ones. Because the pictures of
the tools were on the stands and generated interest even if out of stock.

We also used a modified Gillette approach. Buy a 100 tool package and get
the display (worth $115) free.

Nope, these kids aren't so dumb after all.

Cheers,
Steve