[Dixielandjazz] for banjo players

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sat Feb 4 21:25:37 PST 2006

Posts these days, as we approach the 11th anniversary of DJML, sure are
getting me nostalgic.  Let me see a show of digital hands for those who
remember Russ Presting, the No Cal banjo man (was he in Petaluma? I
can't recall).  The only instrument I ever owned was a circa 1962
Baldwin Ode 4-string plectrum that included on the inside the name of a
famous music store on the east coast (Zaph's?).  It was in 97, not long
before his death, that I visited him in his home, and bought said item.
  Even though in poor health, he was graciousness personified, and
enjoyed hearing someone as young as I was recognising the various jazz
names he was dropping.  It's hard to believe that was 9 years ago.  (I
sold the instrument the next year, alas, and I surely regret it.  The
sale took place in the floating home of Carl Lunsford -- another day of
enjoyable name dropping.),
--
Etc,

Fr M J "Mike" Logsdon
Special Assistant to the Presiding Archbishop
North American Old Roman Catholic Church (Utrecht Succession)
www.naorc.org