[Dixielandjazz] Hmmmmm...

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Feb 3 08:55:17 PST 2006

Not to wish to get in a mud slinger over this, as I don't really have the
passion behind the subject that some seem to have...
but, I wonder about comments that there is nothing good out there, that
everything coming from Hollywood is junk, etc.

Hearing, or in this case, reading those comments just after having posted
about the obviously marvelous talents of film star Kevin Stacey (actory,
singer, dancer), and having seen other film stars in monstrously talented
showcases in the last week of musicals coming by way of the U.K. Sky Movies
into my home, makes me wonder if we all live in the same world.

I work a lot in the studio preparing popular music for a man that does 400
modelling shows in a year.  The music is mostly from the pop/rock world, and
is mostly quite new.  We cut & paste, play with, and bend this music to fit
the necesities of the models & dancers to show off the gladwear that is
being shown.  I work with a choreographer on all of this.  Lucky me!  It
gives me a chance to hear what's out there.

First off:  some of the recordings are magical in their audio quality.
Secondly, while most of the music chosen is obviously heavy on the rhythm
side, there are some clever bits happening.  Some of the vocals are intimate
to the point of "being in the room with you", others are just silly...like
the one I mentioned the other day ("You like my hump").  Some of it is
awful, too.

There is electronically produced drums,etc., but the majority of the good
stuff has real people playing (you can tell!), and a lot of it is excellent.
I particularly enjoy what I call "the empty spots", places where the rhythm
leaves a vacancy, a silence, that can make a tune.  You can hear it in the
good rap pieces.  And, the bass lines can be great.

Like I said, it's no big deal for me....I'm just commenting, and trying to
offer another side to things.
I suspect (actually, know) that there is good jazz & bad jazz out there,
also.

As far as education goes, there is a series of school books for music
education that is almost ready to come out for the schools in Spain.  I was
contracted by Pearson Education (publishers) to prepare the music, although
I am not the one actually choosing the music.  It was Pearson's idea to use
our band for the recorder flute karoake bits for the students.

In a series of six books (written & recorded in the 5 languages spoken in
this relatively small country, which means preparing 30 full length CD's for
me!), the school teacher will have a CD (over 70 minutes on each CD) with
each book which covers just about every type of music you could hope to
find, plus the sounds of individual instruments, and lots of sounds of the
city, home, etc..

The bits in the book & on the CD pertaining to the children playing
recorders is offered aurally by using our band, and with the music noted in
the students books, along with instructions on musical notation (basic, but
at least an introduction).  I think we managed to play some interesting
children's songs with a bit of a jazz flavor, and hope to spark some
interest in improvisation, as that is what can be heard behind the melody
line being played by students.

Our band has been given extensive notice in the notes of the books, and are
in hopes of lining up concerts at schools once the books come out (if we can
get some sponsorship from the publishers!).

Optimistically yours,

Jim