[Dixielandjazz] (Fwd) CanAmGer Jazz Band Concert - John Skillman

jcblegen at sbcglobal.net jcblegen at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 2 07:37:07 PST 2006

I received this e-mail from John Skillman and felt the list members might be interested . . .

John Blegen

From:	Jlskill at aol.com
Date sent:	Wed, 1 Feb 2006 11:20:53 EST
Subject:	CanAmGer Jazz Band Concert - John Skillman

Hi Friends,

John Skillman here. Diana and I wanted to let you know about a concert by the Canadian-
American-German (CanAmGer) Dixieland Jazz Band. Wewill be in the Chicago-Dekalb
area on 24 February, 2006 at 7;30 PM at the Egyptian Theater in Dekalb IL. I play
clarinet in this band which was formed to play at ajazz festival in Germany Nov 2004. This
year we are doing a mini-tour of the Eastern USA with concerts as follows:

 Friday 24 February-Illinois:Egyptian Theater, 135 N 2nd St, Dekalb, IL, 7:30 PM
 Saturday 25 February-Indiana: Sterrett Center; 8950 Otis Ave.; Lawrence, Ind ,7 PM
Sunday 26 February -Ohio: Makoy Center, 5462 Center St, Hilliard, Ohio, 2 PM
 --
 Friday 3 March - Fla: On Top Of The World Clubhouse- Ocala FL 7:30 PM
 Saturday4 March - Fla: Bayshore On The Lake Clubhouse - BradentonFL, 6:30 PM

Next year (May 2007) we are proud to announce that The CanAmGer Jazz Band will play
at the famous Dresden Jazz festival, in Dresden Germany. This must be the largest
Trad/Dixeland Jazz festival in the world with a total attendance of over 350,000 people.
Those Europeans, young and old, seem to Love Dixieland Jazz - and this style of Jazz was
invented in the USA!

Band Members for the Dekalb Concert are:

 Banjo/Guitar/Vocals/ Leader Mike Evans Columbus,Ohio
 Clarinet John Skillman Dekalb, IL
Cornet Christian Doering Munich, Germany
Trombone/ VocalsJim Armstrong, Victoria, BC (Canada)
Piano Larry Nusser Columbus, Ohio
Tuba/Cornet/Vocals Phil Stone Columbus, Ohio
 Drums Aaron Pucket, Dekalb, IL

So ... the kickoff of our mini-tour in the USA is in Dekalb IL. This concert is open to the
public and is held at a restored 1930´s era Theater in the old-town of Dekalb, IL. Free
Parking. The concert is being staged as a "New Orleans Jazz Party" and you are
encouraged to wear your New Orleans Marti Gras-type attire for the occasion.( But it isn't
required!). The Egyptian theatre is in the National Registry of Historic Places. This is one of
the best examples of Egyptian/Art Deco architecture in the Country. It has an excellent
stage with a grand piano, and seats more than 200. ( We don't expect that many !!).

The Dekalb concert is sponsored by John Smiths' "Just Make It Happen" series of musical
events. "Just Make It Happen" is a nonprofit foundation to promote the performing arts.
Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door (Tax Deductible).You can get advance
tickets by sending a check to John Smithmade out to: "Just Make It Happen" 337
Knollwood, Dekalb, IL 60115. Put your E mail address on thecheck to get E mail
confirmation, or call John at 815 758 1093.You can also get tickets at Dekalb-area
merchants: Brown's County Market, Sycamore & Genoa , Kiwanis Club, DeKalb , Egyptian
Theater, DeKalb (Sat. 10-1), Hillside Restaurant, DeKalb, Lions Club, DeKalb, Taxco Mexican
Restaurant, Sycamore. Also see the web site http://www.justmakeithappen-
dekalb.com/tickets/new-orleans.htmfor more information.

I hope you will come and support live Jazz in our area. Please tell your friends (and
Enemies) about this event. Please E mail me with any questions or E mail/address of
others you think might be interested.

John Skillman
863 696 0321