[Dixielandjazz] Mantooth Jazz Festival - The 23rd Annual Secondary School Jazz Festival

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 1 07:06:26 PST 2006

CAVEAT - LONG POST BUT THE MESSAGE IS CLEAR.

"JAZZ LIVES" IN THE CHICAGO METRO AREA.

This is a must read for those involved in promoting secondary school jazz
bands, or jazz festivals involving youth bands.

Probably "modern" jazz since it came from the Kenton List, however it would
still be a good model for what we OKOMers might be doing.

Cheers,
Steve

LIVE 14-hr WEBCAST of Frank Mantooth Jazz Festival on Feb. 4 featuring
Featuring Sherrie Maricle and the DIVA Jazz Orchestra and the Falconaires

The entire FRANK MANTOOTH JAZZ FESTIVAL AT NEW TRIER HIGH SCHOOL will be
webcast LIVE from 8:30 a.m. to 10:15 p.m. on SAT, FEB. 4, 2006. It will also
be broadcast live on cable television in the North Shore of Chicago, and
simulcast in STEREO on New Trier's public radio station, FM 88.1

Everything that takes place on the main stage will be shown live on
NTJAZZ.COM. Go to: http://ntjazz.com/

Download a PDF file of the concert program:
http://ntjazz.com/Jazz_Festival/2006/06_JazzFest_program.pdf

This is the 23rd year of a highly NON-competitive jazz festival where the
students are the "trophies". The festival is limited to "second" bands from
schools with more than one jazz ensemble, or "inexperienced first bands"
from schools with one ensemble. Each year more than 60 bands send in their
online registration form for the 45 performance spaces. New Trier High
School is located in the northern Chicago suburb of Winnetka, Illinois.

To see the the list of bands performing this year, go to:
http://ntjazz.com/Jazz_Festival/2006/Schools/

The jazz festival's website is: http://ntjazz.com/Jazz_Festival/

Each year we select a charity to support by donating some of the proceeds
from the jazz festival. This year we will match donations given at the
festival by students and audience members with the goal of providing an
"ARK" ($5,000) for the Heifer Foundation in the memory of the festival's
namesake, Frank Mantooth. For more information about this amazing charity,
go to: http://www.heifer.org/

Here is the complete webcast schedule for February 4....
(All times are CST and no tickets are required to attend until the evening
concert.)

8:30 a.m.- New Trier High School Freshman Jazz Ensemble (4th ensemble)
9:00 a.m.- New Trier High School Concert Jazz Ensemble (3rd ensemble)
9:25 a.m.- New Trier High School Lab Jazz Ensemble (2nd ensemble)
9:50 a.m.- Glenbrook South High School (2nd ensemble)
10:15 a.m.- Lisle Senior High School (2nd ensemble)
10:40 a.m.- Homewood-Flossmoor High School (2nd ensemble)
11:05 a.m.- Naperville Central High School (2nd ensemble)
11:30 a.m.- Wilmot Union High School (1st and only ensemble)

12:00- 12:30 p.m.- GORAN IVANOVIC GROUP  (no tickets required)
http://www.goranivanovicgroup.com

12:40 p.m.- University High School (2nd ensemble)
1:05 p.m.- Sun Prairie High School (2nd ensemble)
1:30 p.m.- Quincy Senior High School (2nd ensemble)
1:55 p.m.- College Silver Heights Collegiate (2nd ensemble)
2:20 p.m.- Delavan-Darien High School (1st and only ensemble)

2:40- 3:00 p.m.- JAZZ DIRECTORS BIG FAT BAND  (no tickets required)
http://ntjazz.com/Jazz_Festival/2006/Directors/bigband06.htm

3:00- 3:50 p.m.- Rhythm Section Masterclass by the rhythm section of the
DIVA JAZZ ORCHESTRA  (no tickets required)

4:00 - 5:00 p.m.- The US Air Force Academy FALCONAIRES (no tickets required)
http://www.usafacademyband.com/falcs_bio.html

5:00- 6:00 p.m.- Rebroadcast of the Lawrence University Jazz Ensemble (Fred
Sturm, director) recorded at last year's Jazz Festival.
http://www.lawrence.edu/conservatory/ensembles/luje.shtml

6:00- 7:00 p.m.- Rebroadcast of New Trier Jazz Ensemble I performance at our
FALL JAZZ CONCERT (Dec. 1, 2005) featuring guest artist, conductor,
composer, MIKE TOMARO. http://www.miketomaro.com/flash_content.htm

7:00- 7:30 p.m.- Possibly off the air in preparation for the evening
concert.

7:30 p.m.- LIVE webcast of the NEW TRIER HIGH SCHOOL JAZZ ENSEMBLE I
(Directed by James Warrick) featuring the world premier of "North Shore
Evening" conducted by its composer, MATT HARRIS.
http://www.csun.edu/~hfmus011/

The performance will also feature jazz vocalist and 1997 New Trier graduate
ALEXIS BOOTH. http://www.alexisbooth.com/

Our performance closes with Pat Metheny's "Third Wind", directed by its
arranger, ROBERT LUSSIER
http://ntjazz.com/Jazz_Festival/2006/clinicians/Lussier.htm

8:20 p.m.- 10:00 p.m. (approx)- LIVE webcast by SHERRIE MARICLE and THE DIVA
JAZZ ORCHESTRA  http://divajazz.com/

IMPORTANT: To see our webcasts it is necessary to download (free)
REALPLAYER. Go to: http://ntjazz.com/Real/
GORAN IVANOVIC GROUP

USAF Academy Band FALCONAIRES

The Air Force Academy Jazz Ensemble Falconaires will also be performing a
free concert on Friday, February 3rd, 7:30 PM, at West Leyden HS.  If anyone
wishes to bring students or attend the concert, contact the Leyden Music
Department Chair, Bryan Miller, at 847-451-3049 or bmiller at leyden212.org

To see the complete Jazz Festival performance schedule by all 45 of our
guest high school and junior high bands, go to:
http://ntjazz.com/Jazz_Festival/2006/Schedule/S/school_schedule2006.htm

Sherrie Maricle and
the DIVA Jazz Orchestra
To see this year's jazz festival clinicians, go to:
http://ntjazz.com/Jazz_Festival/2006/clinicians/

To see a complete list of the music being performed by all the bands at our
festival, go to: http://ntjazz.com/Jazz_Festival/2006/music2006.htm

To see the video archives of last year's (2005) festival including the
performance by  GORDON GOODWIN'S BIG PHAT BAND, go to:
http://ntjazz.com/Jazz_Festival/2005/fest05archives.htm

To see the video archives of the 2004 festival including the performance by
THE BOB MINTZER BIG BAND, go to:
http://ntjazz.com/Jazz_Festival/2004/fest04archives.htm

For driving directions to New Trier High School (385 Winnetka Ave.,
Winnetka, IL), go to:
http://ntjazz.com/Events/default.htm#Driving%20Directions

To purchase the new New Trier High School Jazz Ensembles CD featuring guest
artists Charlie Vernon (bass trombone), Wayne Bergeron (trumpet), and a
composition conducted by its composer, Gordon Goodwin, go to:
http://ntjazz.com/CD/2005/buy/
All proceeds from the online sale of our new jazz CD are donated to the
school's Katrina Relief Fund. Our jazz studies program has already donated
$5,000 to this relief fund.
To download a PDF copy of the New Trier High School Jazz Studies Curriculum,
go to: http://ntjazz.com/JAZZ%20CURRICULUM.pdf

To see the recent concert at New Trier by DAVE SAMUELS (New Trier graduate)
and the CARIBBEAN JAZZ PROJECT, go to: http://ntjazz.com/Real/CJP.ram

The New Trier High School Jazz Ensemble I will share a concert with the
CHICAGO JAZZ ENSEMBLE directed by JON FADDIS, and the Columbia College Jazz
Ensemble directed by Scott Hall, at the HOT HOUSE beginning at 6:00 p.m. on
Thursday, February 16, 2006.  Tickets will be on sale at the door for $15
each and students with school ID for only $5 each. For directions to the HOT
HOUSE, go to: http://www.hothouse.net
Jim Warrick
Coordinator of Jazz Studies
New Trier High School
385 Winnetka Ave. Winnetka, IL 60093
Office: 847-784-6701   Fax: 425-671-3902
Cell: 630-479-0001
New Trier Jazz Studies website: http://www.ntjazz.com/
Order our new CD: http://ntjazz.com/CD/2005/buy/