[Dixielandjazz] Post-Genre Music?

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Sun Dec 31 03:49:30 PST 2006

All of the talk about getting the youth into OKOM seems to assume our
musical category is a sub category of the bigger category generally called  "jazz."
At Rutgers Unviersity, where I manage the adult education courses in  writing,
(when I'm not playing ragtime piano), one teacher came up with a course
called Post-Genre Poetry. In it, he assumes that poetry has moved beyond genres,
or types or categories of music, and now poets are more or less free agents.
As  I think about it, isn't that what has happened to an awful lot of art
forms?  We've heard of fusion, and cross-over, but what if there isn't any more
need for  the traditional genres? What if it's just "music" from here on? Does
this work  for anyone out there?

Dan (backup piano) Spink