[Dixielandjazz] guitar not banjo? I don't know why.

Lutemann at aol.com Lutemann at aol.com
Wed Dec 27 15:35:20 PST 2006

When I wander around the Quarter playing with different guys, I bring my
four string banjo.  A guitar would  never be heard in the street,  and a gut
string guitar would produce less than zero sound. .I don't think  Freddie Green
could be heard with that trombone heavy Jackson Square bunch.

I'm just guessing but I think a lot N.O .street musicians jn the early days
just took the 5th string off the five string banjo and played it like a
guitar.  That's what I do. The tenor banjo is more of a gentleman's  instrument.