[Dixielandjazz] Fifty Miles of Elbow Room (was Everybody don ´ t know / Lily of the Valley lyrics)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Dec 30 20:43:38 PST 2006

> Bob Helm told me that "50 Miles of Elbowroorm" was written or at least first
performed by "Rev. McGee" in the 30s.<

Dear Scott,
The Rev FW McGee version of "Fifty Miles Of Elbow Room" was recorded for
Victor in New York on Wednesday 16 July 1930 at his last record date with
McGee, p/v; unknown t, and g.
Claims that the trumpet player is Henry 'Red' Allen are unsubstantiated
aurally.
An unissued take -2 has been reissued on LP and CD, but would be hard to
find, would the original take -1. I do not have it in any form.
Maybe my mates DJMLers Anton Crouch or Phil O'Rourke (away at the Jazz
Convention at the moment) have it.
I believe that it is the same tune that Turk Murphy recorded, which I do
have.
Kind regards,
Bill.