[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: SENIOR CENTER GIGS AVAIL:

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Dec 29 16:55:21 PST 2006

Hi Ginny:

Sadly yes we do live in the High rent district in California, but that
does not stop folks from trying to be less than generous with their
money when it comes to hiring musicians,  something that in my opinion
the Musicians brought upon themselves long before I got into the
business ands they just never reversed it.

I have a friend who sings with a Karaoke system and he makes $30,000.00
a year singing at Senior centers for an hour or so at a time, they love
him, and he does not argue with grumpy sidemen about what to play or
not to play and give those folks all their old favorites.

A good senior center gig around these parts is about $300.00  but so
many musicians and entertainers have undercut each other so many times
that the entertainment directors at them have simply lowered the
offerings and given themselves raises :>((

And yes a decent senior center here will cost them $3000.00 and upwards
per month to live there.   The Bus driver who takes them to the field
trips makes more money than the musicians, why?  because he demands it
and gets more respect too.

There are occasional exceptions to this price but you really have to
dig to find them and then if you do find one you better not tell any
other musicians about it or the same thing quickly happens.   Some
players really do know what they are worth and charge accordingly
because they just have so much fun.  :))

Cheers,

Tom