[Dixielandjazz] Banjitars and such

Talegatorz at aol.com Talegatorz at aol.com
Thu Dec 28 14:41:52 PST 2006

These days there are many types of banjo/guitars available, both acoustic and
electric. Many can be seen at Gold-Tone's web site. I own a couple of their
instruments and they have both been very usable and excellent values.
A little google time will reveal availability from many reliable sources at
competitive prices.
As for a guitar being a banjo...Someone heard that I was taking up banjo and
called me to do a gig the day I received my first plectrum. Never one to turn
down a paying job, I tuned it to the first four strings of a guitar and
successfully went for it. I also play
the banjoukele. Now that I have learned to play proficiently in standard
plectrum tuning (C-G-B-D), I can assure you that a banjo tuned like a guitar might
sound like a banjo, but it is certainly not a banjo. Also, a well set up
banjo has as much sustain as any other acoustic stringed instrument I have played.

Regards,
Gus Bloch