[Dixielandjazz] Why guitar, not banjo?/Tubas, too

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Thu Dec 28 10:46:02 PST 2006

Thanks for the correction, Bill. All these years I've been assuming it
was St. Cyr. on guitar and not noticing a banjo in the background
during the rest of the record. I'm still bowled over by the brilliance
and appropriateness of the guitar in interaction with Louis--don't
think a banjo would have produced the same almost "modern" conception
in the counterpoint and call/response. And Louis's scat where he sings
on every third eighth note over an eight-bar sequence is both immortal
and sooo far ahead of its time. I think the recording rivals "West End
Blues" as a near-perfect jazz performance. --Charlie