[Dixielandjazz] One Music Educator Who Did A Right Thing About Racial Injustice

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Dec 27 14:32:11 PST 2006

On Dec 27, 2006, at 4:03 PM, Gluetje1 at aol.com wrote:

> Probably most on this list have read Shapiro and Hentoff's "Hear Me
> Talkin'
> to You".  That's another good way to get some of the flavor of what
> African-American jazz greats experienced due to racism.
> Ginny

Yes--one of the most heartbreaking narratives I've ever read is Roy
Eldridge's description on what he endured while touring with Artie
Shaw-- from managers, customers, and cops. Shaw was great, he said.
It's in the first edition of Hentoff and Shapiro's HEAR ME TALKIN' TO
YA, pp. 328-330. I used to read this in history classes and there was
scarcely a dry eye in the room.

  Charlie Suhor