[Dixielandjazz] Rhythm Guitar (or Bass)

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 27 13:00:18 PST 2006

Ginny at Gluetje1 at aol.com wrote (polite snip)

> No quibbling from me on Freddy Green!  In fact, unamplify most of 'em  and
> give them the responsibility of being heard, if they are only rhythm.   BUT,
> Freddie never soloed did he?  And don't most bands want to have the  solo
> licks and choruses as part of their sound?

Speaking for Barbone Street, we use an amplified guitar and we do want solo
licks and choruses from it as part of our sound. Even to single string
counterpoint during the out chorus which gives us an extra "horn" in the
front line sound.

My main man, Kenny Davern loved one guitar, or two guitars in his groups.
There is some really neat guitar work from a rhythm guitar and a solo guitar
on some of his later albums. With Howard Alden plus Bucky Pizzarelli in the
rhythm section.

There is also Marty Grosz who plays an unamplified guitar, but does mike it
it many band situations. He both comps and solos, extremely well. Hell of a
player.

Rhythm players are not uncommon. Our bass player almost never solos and when
we force it, he simply walks in rhythmic tempo, behind a comping guitar.
Can't argue with his concept as he was an "in demand" player, since 1947,
with Pres, Brownie, Billy Holiday, Roach, Rich, Kay and JJ, Torme, Spanier,
Ventura, et al, as well as Liberace, Fabian, Chubby Checker, Lester Lanin
and a whole bunch of others.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone