[Dixielandjazz] Guitar Volume

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Dec 27 12:53:17 PST 2006

It may have been that the band had the rather quaint idea that they should
listen to the other musicians and balance with them.  Who has to think about
balance if the guy can just twist a knob?  It's a lost art.

On the other hand rhythm guitar is a bit of a different animal and with a
stiff pick can cut through and can balance a piano/upright bass/drum rhythm
section easily but is a little harsh that way.  If the player plays near the
bridge the guitar is a lot brighter and that will cut through more.  I think
arch top guitars are brighter sounding too.

They used a different string set up on the instrument then.  I played one
time back in the 60's with a guy that was about 20 years older than me.  He
was a wonderful guitar player and didn't need an amp but his strings were
heavy gauge and a whole lot higher from the fingerboard than guys use today.
Both things can produce more volume but take really good playing chops.  If
the strings are low they will buzz if the player plays hard.  I was
surprised at how high his strings were off the fingerboard.  When I first
got in the AF band in 58 there was a Gibson arch top guitar in supply that
was set up exactly the same way.

Today they are low and light gauge.  String buzz isn't as much of a problem
and resonance can be added electronically to make up for the Twinkie sound
of a lighter string.  Light and medium light strings make the instrument a
whole lot easier to play and then electronics do the rest.
Larry
St. Louis