[Dixielandjazz] Meet me in St Louis, Lewis (was .Why guitar, not banjo?/T...

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Wed Dec 27 10:23:30 PST 2006

I also have a different opinion than Larry wrote yesterday about the riches
in St. Louis.  We have world class: St Louis Symphony, Missouri Botanical
Gardens, Washington University, medical technology, Mississippi River, the  Arch.
 One of the better zoos in the U.S., fine art museum, this year the  World
Series Baseball Champs, excellent theater going opportunities,  acoustically
wonderful Powell Hall and Sheldon theaters, great park concerts and  Shakespeare
Festival in summer, ? the largest outdoor theater in U.S. (Muny  Opera),
highly reputable grand opera in St. Louis Opera Theatre, Fox Theater for  traveling
Broadway shows, brewery tours etc., etc., etc.  Three  DL groups that I very
much enjoy unless they're having an off-day (which every  group has).  Those 3
(well, actually it's more as Jeanne Kittrell's  names fronts several groups
are  St. Louis Stompers, Cornet Chop Suey,  and whatever group Kittrell puts in
front.  Also have had St. Louis  Ragtimers for 45 years.  Very, very active
amateur music community  constantly doing concerts for free or next to
nothing--and therein lies a  downside for musicians.  It's rare to be able to earn a
living as a music  performer in this region.
Ginny